Friday, September 11, 2009

protecting you things from the chewy monster

Dogs play by chewing. They relieve boredom by chewing. Dogs need to chew and if you don't provide the things they like to chew on they search out for things which smell of you, their favorite smell. Everyone is different too, some dogs like rawhide and other prefer to gnaw on a smelly cow hoof. You can search and choose many many options to please your dogs palate but remember this. Your dog may like to chew on whatever it is but, he will get bored with it so mix it up with chews he may like and then plug in his favorite on those long days or when he seems a little more rowdy than usual. A teething pup could use a frozen toy, they sell different things you can soak or simply freeze and they chew on. My dog was happy with icecubes when he was teething. *Very important.... hands never get chewed on or waved by dogs mouths like a tease of a toy. This teaches inappropriate chewing behaviors and can actually encourage biting. No lie I took a puppy training class once and we sat in a circle and asked questions. I sat there watching this guy use hand play with his pup and the pup was very mouthy and when it came to his question the guy actually said" my puppy is so mouthy I can't get him to stop" then the instructor explained that he could have chosen a toy to play with the pup and should never use hand play. Hands are for command signals and never go in mouths because it is a respected posession of the leader. Respected items are items we own and if we leave them out like I did my phone and the dog forgets that is ok but, they should drop it (if trained to do so) when told to.
My dog loves bull penis, rawhide, stew "raw" bones and several others. I mix it up with him and usually he will only get chew time during tv time. I get the raw bone out of the freezer and allow him to chew on it for a couple hours and then back it goes. When I leave for work he gets something safer like a bully to chew on while I am away.
If you are like me you are concerned for your things. I don't have really nice things but, I still don't enjoy buying a new pair of running shoes because my dog pulled out the inside and ate part of the tongue or whatever. When I first got my dog he was confined to the kitchen while we were away. We cleared the counters of anything dangerous and when we were home we kept remotes and sunglasses and cellphones, watches, keys and shoes or socks out of reach. We shut the bathroom door to protect roll after roll of toilet paper because it may be cheap but, 10 rolls destroyed in a day can put a damper on funds. We are slowly reintroducing things. The lid on the toilet has been lifted and we introduced a dash of vinegar into the bowl to deter drnking. We still keep the paper in a drawer and the remotes up high but, last week my dog was alone for a full day and I left my closet door open and came home to find he only pulled out a sock onto my bedroom floor. you can get there. Don't be shocked to find accidents. The newspaper torn to shreds when it was left dangling off the kitchen table or the sponge left too close to the edge of the sink in bits. I heard of a man who fell asleep remote on lap and woke up to have no remote only little bits of plastic covering the floor. I personally left my sleeping pup to go check my laundry and I returned to my quite awake dog who was ripping the back off my cellphone the hard way. let me tell you cell phones aren't cheap if you have a contract already and not insurance on it.
My point is dogs chew. It is how they play by themselves. Those without chewy items find their own or some even chew on themselves. don't give your dog 85 stuffed and squeaky toys and leave them to play on their own because chances are... they will chew something instead.
Somethings must be protected like table legs and cords and things. You can buy a spray to spray on those things like bitter apple spray or others. If you do this remember to reapply the spray frequently and to wash up after spraying so you don't transfer the spray onto acceptable toys.
Everyday I set aside time. My time is set aside for play usually after dinned I get out a tug toy or a stuffed item, sometimes a ball. I play with him for 10 or 15 minutes. I switch toys if I want and stop playing when I say. I also set aside time for mental stimulation like training and practicing tricks and games. that is usually short like 5 minutes a couple times each day. I of course set asdie exercise time. I have a very active dog and he loves his long walks, short runs and playing ball in the back yard.
All of those things help with saving your personal items from destruction. Remember never scold a dog for something you didin't just catch him doing. We are talking 5 seconds after the act, anything later the train of thought has shifted. Dogs live in the now and part of that means memory of acts being placed in short term memory bracket. If you ever scold your dog post act it is weakening your relationship and confusing them. Just let it go, I know it seems hard but, if you must just leave the room, never hold a grudge because they didn't mean to ruin your new briefcase. Honestly you have a puppy and should know better than to leave those things out. Dogs chew but, you can decide with a little guidance, what gets chewed and as they get older the chewing gets less and less.

No comments:

Post a Comment