Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Making business!!! and responsible owners

A responsible owner picks up after their dog. Let's face it though we have all been there, you drag yourself out at dawn to walk your dog and then realize oops.."I totally forgot to bring a bag" or you run out when your dog decides they are doing extra poops that morning. What to do? Well, I feel badly and try to cover it or mark it in someway so noone steps in it or anything and then I try to make a detour the next walk and pick it up. There are some who pretend to not see it happening or that their dog is meerly peeing and then they walk off like it is not their concern. It is a health concern really. Your dog may be sick or carrying a virus or a bug and could infect others especially young puppies. It is our responsibilities to keep the neighborhood and trails and parks clean so others don't dictate where we may bring our furry friends. Some apartment buildings and subdivisions won't allow dogs because of irresponsible owners of past.
We can make it better by cleaning up after our dogs and if you have an extra bag leave it at the bag station for others when it is empty. Also if you see an accident that was forgotten pick it up for them as a thank you for someone getting your forgotten one in the past. We can all make a difference positively.
I find the best bags are the newspaper bags and ask coworkers without pets to collect theirs for me then I have ample supply. I try to carry at least 1 extra and leave it at a bag station if it is empty because I know in the past I have gone on the walk and ran out of bags and rerouted to the bag station at the far end of the park and it was out of bags. I was sad because I had to then turn around and go home hopeing to mae it by the kids playground without incident. How embarrassing when others see your forgetfulness.
I am sure we have all gone on a walk on a nice long trail and about a 1/4 mile after the trash our dog decides he has to go. Well we intend on returning the same route and bag the poop up into the bag tie a knot and set it on the side of the trail out of the way. We continue on and then as we go back we pick it up and dispose of it. "oh no, When we get back to the trail head, we forgot to pick it up" I will try to pick up for others here too because my memory is pretty good and I have forgotten a time or 2 in the past. Apparently it is against the law in these parts to even leave it and pick it up later and they will fine you. Probably too many people forgetting or losing where they left it.
I think with a little honor and effort we can all help respect others and enjoy the trails and parks for many years to come. Please talk to your vet about certain vaccinations which would benefit in your area lepto,rattlesnake, bordetella etc. are all ones you may consider.

No comments:

Post a Comment