Wednesday, September 9, 2009

I survived you can too

Last year I could not begin to write about my ordeal of puppyhood. I would go to work and when I came home I would look at my cute little puppy and swear he grew during the several hours apart. I had help. My sister lives with me and was a huge help with caring for him. He had the toys and the classes and a crate. He was just so much hard work between socializing, training, walking and having fun. I gave him everything I had keeping him safe, stopping him from eating my shoes, the remote, plastic bags, you name it. Your know what though, he was totally worth it.
You see I have had many dogs before, when I went to college I got my first dog who was all mine. He was amazing a Collie mix (maybe) from the shelter and he was just all kinds of good. He had energy and would take himself on walks, eat toes of my socks and bark at the neighborhood kids but, I trusted him completely. When he passed away a few years ago of cancer. I was devastated. I was not ready but, when it did come time for another dog I did research,chose the right high energy,smart herding breed for me. I scoured my options and decided I wanted a dog I could watch grow from day one. I missed out on that with my shelter dog and wanted to learn about that part of dog life.
Thanks to my awesome breeder I got to see the puppycam in the whelping box and got to visit him 2 times before I took him home at 9 weeks. I would watch him working his little brain thinking things out and learning. He would get frustrated with me when I couldn't comunicate clearly and he would try to understand.
Now he is a bit over a year and a half and I am thinking that with all the books I have read and all the research and techniques I have picked up I would like to share that with others who may have questions or need help.
I have been giving advise to friends and collegues and contemplating going to school or opening my own consultation business or dog walking service. I know and understand not one method works for all dogs across the board. I learned that from my dog too.
It has been a well travelled road and I hope to learn more from organizing what I share with you regarding my journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment