Saturday, November 14, 2009

bedtime

Many people will have routines they follow when they get ready for bed. It is alarming to find out how many do not have any such routine for their dogs. Dogs are such creatures of habit, and to get the last 10 or 15 minutes of their day in a way that they completely understand they need to relax and start the resting patterns, well, this is important.
What I do will give you an idea, though may not be perfect for your dog. When I am ready for bed. I say to my dog"let's go outside and get ready for nigh-nights" (I am not usually so cute-sy with my commands but, I call his bed bed and don't want to confuse the two) Then We put on the leash go out into the yard and I stand by the same bush by the deck until he lifts his leg and then I give him a command that to us means he won't go out for a while, I also use this when he is to be alone at home for a long while, I call it the "empty the tank" command. He then knows he won't have any more chances that night and will pee for quite awhile.
Next we go in and I give him a small snack. It is abot 1/2 the size of his main dinner meal and this is something that since puppyhood he has had and I haven't seen to get rid of. He is not overweight and I don't want him to go to bed hungry or have a slow metabolism so I stick with. My last dog would have a large milk bone before bed to settle down with. I guess I always worry my dog is hungry and since he can't really tell me I make adjustments to make myself feel batter. During his snack I get my routine done brushing teeth etc.
Then I bring him bed into my room and point him to go "nigh-nights" and he trots in and plops down on his bed. I change and do a little brushing (about 2 or 3 minutes shifting areas each night) If he had extra exercise that day like a long hike or daycare I will exchange the brush for a light massage.
I play a calming cd to drown out any noise as we settle in. Then I read for a bit and after typically 20 minutes I shut the light off and sleep.
I believe it is good for a dog especially a stressed or insecure dog to have some minutes in the nighttime in which they bond and realx with their owner. I don't care if your dog sleeps in a crate comfy in the corner of the room or on your bed sleeping next to your feet. I have read if you choose to have pets on your bed though that you settle in first and should be able to tell them to move if they crowd you in anyway.
Sometimes my dog gets a little too into play when we are haing rest time, I tell him to get on his bed, I only allow for chew hides in the bedroom (no balls or plush) he must settle on his bed or I will put him in his crate (which he likes and is comfortable with its large cushion bed in it) then I will let him out some time later.
I give free water. Some people limit the times and will take water away after 6 or 8 at night. If your dog can go through the night why limit? I have a small bowl on the crate door and fill it both before work and before bed.
Whatever you choose to do with your dog to relax into restng time, be sure it fits your dog and can be done comfortably each evening. make it known that it is bedtime and much like with kids don't let up on the guidlines.

No comments:

Post a Comment