Sunday, April 18, 2010

strides: from puppy to adult

When my pup was small I thought I would go out of my mind. Honestly, I was kind of on my own with the training and time with him and all. My roommate would come home and let him potty but, really that was about all she did. I was ragged. I would walk and train and close him in our kitchen in the morning after breakfast and come home tired from work to a puppy who was wound up and wanted more. I would push myself on for months and months. I took him to classes and even a behaviorist to try to get a balanced dog. I had minor victories as he learned and retained the knowledge, I watched as he figured out how to get what I wanted or what he wanted. I remained strong and found the methods to train him as he needed and give him what he needed.
I went through all of this. I am now comfortable with my dog in everything except leaving the toilet paper out or off leash. This morning I said " why don't you go in the kitchen and finish your foo-foo" he walked by me into the kitchen and started eating again. I have a smart dog. I am really proud of him but, he still has brain farts. Last week, we were at a show and he completely bailed on me. We were showing in rally which is kind of like obedience only with stations. sit here, walk around your dog, down there, etc. Anyway he was checking out this cute great dane and that was it for him. "let me go sniff her mom, come-on I want to play with her" I was disqualified when I know he knows the stuff because not 2 weeks earlier he scored 98 out of 100 points in the same stuff. The point here is know your limits, know your dog, and know what makes the most sense for your team. It is super important to have that mutual respect too because dogs can be taught in fear and will react to your commands out of fear but, they won't respect you and that makes the relationship strained and weak. When you train out of choice and respect your dog will know what you offer is based there and trust the outcome will be good if they choose to honor your requests.
I am so glad I don't come home to a chew fest anymore. That is quite nice. indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment