Tuesday, January 19, 2010

what dogs are made for

I have a herding breed dog. This breed is meant to look like coyotes and be fast and nip at the sheep if needed to keep the flock together and going in the right direction, that which the shepherd is wanting. Recently, I took my dog to herd and it was like he was a different dog. He looks to me for clues typically and looks to me for guidance and I was watching him do his thing with the shepherd. The shepherd was looking for his tendancies, his instincts (which were great) and guiding him to use his self control. The next day my dog was so relaxed and listened the first time every time I asked of him.
I think these dogs were bred for these tasks. Some dogs for retreiving game, some for burrowing out rodents, or chasing fox,wolves,elk. They were bred to use their noses to sniff out things needing finding or protect carriages while they ran along side, to warn humans of dangers, blend into a flock of sheep to protect them from predators. Our dogs have purpose other than sitting in the backyard or begging at the dinner table. When we let them be who they were born to be, it makes them just be, it lets them find themselves in such a natural way that we may never understand. It is beautiful. I was so proud of him that day, so proud of myself for driving the hour and a half up to let him see himself. I drove home that day wondering when I could make it so again. It was another milestone in watching my dog develop. I have watched him since his birth on my breeders puppy cam and watched him figure out things, saw his little brain working out problems, watched it overload him so he would collapse for a nap and this day was a grown up moment. You see I will probably never have kids. Partly because I am getting older and partly because my dog is shy around kids, but I will always remember his steps because they have taught me so much about myself.
This was what he was made for in a way too, and I owe him to let him shine in his own glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment