Friday, October 9, 2009

Grooming- static, undercoats and brushes

I feel it is important to properly groom dogs as determained for the breed. Some dogs have double coats, where the top coat covers up a shorter thick almost poly-fill esque base coat. Other breeds have thick wire or single coats with water resistance. Other breeds have hair which does not shed but, needs to be shaped and trimmed. Whatever the breed most dogs find a brushing very relaxing and will settle in for some comfortable grooming time. In order for this statement to be true we need to identify any difficult or sensitive areas, use proper brushes and follow proper techniques to support the type of coat each dog has.
If a dog doesn't enjoy their brushing time you can work them up to liking it. Be gentle and keep sessions short. Give treats and again be gentle. I have been at grooming places in stores where I actually wanted to storm in and unarm the harsh groomer who is riping out the poor dogs fur. I have also been at shows where dogs will jump up on their table and stand there happily while they are groomed. We can all do this.
What do I do. Well I don't have my own table so I let my little boy lay on his side as I work slowly over his body with my slicker brush. I have 3 tools a comb, a slicker brush and a pin brush which I use for each grooming session. Sometimes I will need a undercoat stripper brush which pulls the undercoat gently out during shedding seasons. My dog needs to be wet so I spray him with a mist bottle (you can use a tiny amount of leav in conditioner in the mist if your dog has tangles) I do about 10 sprays on each side.
Spray the side then use the slicker brush to work from the tail and the feet up and forward. I use one hand placed over the area where the fur meets skin then I use the other hand to work small areas until each area is brushed move forward and up on the body until you reach the neck and face/ears then switch to the comb. The comb will be gentle on those areas. The final step is to use the pin brush to go over the coat to shape it much like we use a round brush, guiding the cowlicks and stray hairs and making it all look even.
There are many books available to help find the right brushing for your dog. Remember to start slow, do a single body part gently and then treat and break. Maybe continue or you can wait until that evening and approach again. Most dogs can take a single session each week but , you may need to use the pin brush to "go over" the coat and minimize any tangles each day.
After each bath your dog will probably have some loose fur for a few days and it is a good time to refocus efforts since the tangles should be gone. I am certain we all buy the appropriate shampoo for our dogs bath and rinsing extra well will ensure that the dog is comfortable. Some dogs have sensitive skin and need conditioning lather or oatmeal, while some dogs need a clear coat rinse to take out over oily coat. There is also whitening for light dogs and flea for dogs with fleas. Don't just buy anything, take a moment and access your dogs needs. Once you find one that works well you can stick with it. You may want to write where you bought it in permanent marker on the side of the bottle.
My dog likes his water and will even jump in the tub after I showered so he can get the "raindrops" from the faucet. I let him do this because he then has no problem jumping in the tub when I want him to have a bath.

No comments:

Post a Comment